Pledge for the years 2016-2020:
- Anticipating and preparing for disasters saves lives and prevents massive economic losses;
- The communities facing risks, hazards and vulnerabilities are best placed to address them effectively and sustainably;
- When a disaster happens, it is community members, volunteers and local organizations who are the first to respond, regardless of their skills, training or available resources;
- Partnerships and collaboration between Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, governments, international organizations, civil society, business and academia, from local to global, will be the only way forward to deliver results at scale and bring about lasting change in communities;
Because there will be no sustainable agenda without greater investment and focus on efforts owned, led and carried out by people themselves,
We want to engage and inspire one billion people to take active steps to strengthen their resilience by 2025.
The Pledge is made through the Partners for Resilience, an alliance of the Red Cross Red Crescent Climate Center, Wetlands International, CARE NL and Cordaid and the Netherlands Red Cross as lead. With a budget of €50M covering a time span from 1 January 2016 through 31 December 2020, the alliance works at global and national level, in over ten countries, to deliver innovative solutions to address the effects of rising disaster risks due to climate change and environmental degradation. Partners for Resilience strengthens the resilience of people who are confronted by rising risks, and who find their livelihoods under increasing pressure. The alliance brings together more than 40 civil society organisations, who collaborate closely with local and national governments, international (non-)governmental bodies, knowledge institutes, private sector and other stakeholders. Each of the alliance partners brings in its international network, assuring maximum leverage.
commit by the end of 2020 to:
- Expand our advocacy for systematic focus on disaster preparedness, risk reduction, ecosystem management and restoration and associated policy frameworks;
- Drive more resources to local organizations and communities to enable them to withstand shocks and reduce their vulnerabilities;
- Build the capacity of local actors, including Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies and their branches, to further develop capabilities in resilience building and partnerships;
- Convene coalitions from governments at local, national and international levels, international organizations, civil society, business and academia to share common ambitions, risks, accountability and successes;
- Increase accountability at all levels through improved and regular monitoring and reporting, on the progress made in building resilience and contributing to implement the Sustainable Development Goals;
- Mobilize people, communities, cities and partners to engage in the One Billion Coalition for Resilience.
Pledge by The Netherlands Red Cross
Institution: National Society
Pledge type: Open