For the years 2016 – 2019, the Australian Government and Australian Red Cross hereby pledge, with a strong focus on the Pacific, to:
- Support local authorities and Pacific National Societies to develop multifaceted responses to address protection, gender equality and inclusion issues in their context, including promoting the leadership role of women in humanitarian action and addressing sexual and gender-based violence.
- Strengthen local humanitarian action through building the capacity of local National Societies to effectively fulfil their auxiliary function to local public authorities in the humanitarian field.
- Build appropriate capacity which encompasses the enhancement of local technical skills, logistics, management systems, equipment, and networks which are responsive, sustainable and context-specific.
- Improve coordination between Australian Government and Australian Red Cross during international responses.
- Invest in emergency surge support that reinforces the central role of local actors, particularly women (and including National Societies) as experts, leaders and, during emergencies, first responders in their own communities.
- Support and promote the importance of adopting effective and appropriate local frameworks of laws, regulations and public policies for disaster risk management and reduction.
- Training to National Societies in emergency needs assessments, emergency shelter, emergency WASH, disease outbreak preparedness, communications accountability, protection and inclusion.
- Technical support to National Societies to prepare for and respond to crisis.
- Regional meetings including to discuss and to pilot local technical skills, logistics, management systems, equipment, and networks.
- Regular meetings between the Australian Government and Australian Red Cross focused on improved coordination of international response efforts.
- Provision of qualified and experienced technical surge support to affected governments, during international responses.
- Workshops/interviews/surveys to discuss the effectiveness of existing laws related to disaster risk response and management.
- Public information materials and information shared on rights and responsibilities related to disaster risk.
- Technical support to mainstream the policies of National Societies and processes to address protection, gender equality and inclusion issues in their context, including promoting the leadership role of women in humanitarian action and addressing sexual and gender-based violence.
Pledge by Australia and Australian Red Cross
Themes: Auxiliary role, Capacity building, Gender, Sexual violence, Women, gender-based violence
Institution: Government, National Society
Pledge type: Specific
Australian Red Cross