By the next International Conference of the Red Cross and Red Crescent, in 2019, the National Society of [NAME] and the Government of [NAME] commit to further consolidating their regular and consistent dialogue, with the aim of strengthening the application of and respect for the Fundamental Principles in line with the Statutes of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and with Resolution 2 adopted at the 30th International Conference (in 2007) and Resolution 4 adopted at the 31st International Conference (in 2011).
By the end of 2016, the signatories of the present pledge will have implemented one or several of the measures proposed below, which will be pursued and/or further developed in the lead-up to the next International Conference.
The National Society of [NAME] and the Government of [NAME] commit to implementing one or several of the measures indicated below, or to taking other concrete action of particular relevance to their country:
- Establish a joint commission or platform tasked with reviewing the existing Red Cross or Red Crescent Society recognition act, in order to identify areas where amendments can be made, aimed at:
- reinforcing the ability of the National Society to apply and abide by the Principles at all times; and
- strengthening the commitment of the Government to respecting the National Society’s prerogative to act at all times in accordance with the Principles.
- Strengthen the dialogue between the National Society and the Government in relevant areas, such as emergency management and response, public health, first aid, community-based programmes, and IHL dissemination, to ensure that the duties and responsibilities that the National Society is entrusted with are compatible with the Fundamental Principles. Initiate a review of existing agreements or memoranda of understanding concluded between the National Society and the public authorities.
- Organize at least one workshop annually focusing on the application of the Fundamental Principles and bringing together key government and other public officials and key staff from the National Society, including from the National Society’s leadership.
- Issue guidelines to promote a more systematic dialogue between the National Society and the relevant authorities, including to ensure dissemination of the Fundamental Principles and of their practical implications at all the levels of the public authorities (including local or branch level), including to the armed and security forces.
- Assign a focal point in all relevant government departments tasked with liaising with the National Societies and ensure that the focal point is properly trained by the National Society on the mission and role of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and its Fundamental Principles.
- Develop a partnership between the National Society and the Government aimed at including the mandates and work of the Red Cross or Red Crescent organizations and the Fundamental Principles of the Movement in the public education / school curriculum.
- Commit to regular meetings between the National Society and parliamentarians (e.g. twice a year) to update the parliament on the mandate, work and modes of action of the National Society, including dissemination of the Fundamental Principles.